Our History

Our History

First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth has a rich history dating back to 1833 when members of the community began talking about starting a new church.  They conducted meetings in people’s homes and two years later in 1835 the church was officially organized with the calling of its first minister.

As we look back over our history we can’t help but recognize that God has been faithful to our church family throughout the generations.  He has always comforted, taught, and guided us.  God has attended every wedding, baptism, funeral, and worship service at this church.  His Spirit continues to be present at every committee meeting, prayer service, and Bible study, and He inspires us to reach out to those in need from Plymouth to the ends of the earth. God laughs with joy over our successes, forgives us when we sin, weeps with us when we are suffering, listens to the yearnings of our hearts, and teaches us His way.   He cares for us today just as He cared for those who came before us.

Because of God’s faithfulness, we can be confident witnesses of His goodness within our families, within our community, and anywhere in the world.  Today, it is a gift to be a part of the next chapter of God’s story at First Pres Plymouth.

Church was officially organized as Second Presbyterian Church of Plymouth

It was officially organized with its first minister, the Rev. A.M. McJunkin, in July of 1835.

1835

Michigan became the 26th state in the Union

1837

The original building was built

1846

Church was renamed First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth

1886

Church was destroyed by a fire.

The only items untouched by the fires were the Bible and the lectern on which it stood.

1936

The Presbyterian Thrift Shop opened

1950

Samuel Hudson published the 150th Anniversary History of First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth

(copies are available in our library)

1985

Education Wing and Upper Room added to building

2002

Memorial Garden and Columbarium added

2003

Partnership with Colina de Luz Christian Home for Children began

2007

Upper Room service began

2009

Partnership with sister church, Mtenthera CCAP, in Malawi, Africa began

2010

The Rev. Emily Riley Campbell was called to be our 35th Senior Minister

2019

Home recorded sermons and outdoor parking lot services began in response to worldwide pandemic

2020
Skip to content