- Message: Life Together – In the Desert
- Lead Minister: Rev. Mark Hovermale, Pastor for Youth and Early Adults
- Liturgist: Rev. Emily Riley Campbell, Senior Minister
- Today’s Music provided by Geff Phillips, Upper Room Worship Leader
- Scripture: Joshua 5:6 (NIV) and Matthew 4:1-11 (NIV)
- Sermon Study Questions
Family Ministry (For children ages K-5):
- Watch today’s Sunday School Lesson: What’s in the Bible?
- Children’s Sermon Shortcut: The Children’s Sermon in today’s service video starts at 06:47
Today’s flowers were given in loving memory of Bob Evans, by Sally Evans and family.
During our 3rd of 4 services entitled “Life Together,” today’s message is: In the Desert. Last week, we discussed storms – those huge, crazy, scary episodes in our lives that blow up and consume our attention for short, or even long, periods of time. In contrast, today we are talking about life in the desert – that place where we struggle, and struggle, and struggle. Sometimes we can prepare for the desert, knowing it’s coming, but more often, we simply look up and see that the desert is all around us. We struggle to the point that we simply don’t have the energy or the endurance to go on.
Both the Israelites and Jesus struggled in the desert. But even though they were both in the same situation, each one handled it very differently. When you find yourself in the desert, which example will YOU follow? The example of the Israelites, who just couldn’t seem to get it right? Or the example of Jesus, who knew what was right and followed it, despite the circumstances.